Is The Science of Science As A Field of Study In Its Own Right Alive Or Dead?

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Sun Feb 16 15:12:38 EST 2014

Clifford,

Most of your questions fall into the domain of philosophy of science (which
happens to be my Ph.D. field) where they have been addressed in
considerable detail for over 400 years. There is also the field of science
studies, which you might try searching on, although it has become political
in recent decades. Philosophy of science is certainly based on empirical
evidence, primarily observation, as is the history of science.

My working definition of science is the explanation of nature (including
human) based on observation. So far as I can tell the differences between
the sciences are due to the differences in what they study. The simpler the
phenomenon the more rigorous can be the analysis.

I am not saying that your questions have been well answered; in fact I
think that our understanding of science is quite limited, especially
because our understanding of human reasoning is very limited. But a great
deal of work has been done and is being done.

David