Is The Science of Science As A Field of Study In Its Own Right Alive Or Dead?

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Sun Feb 16 12:02:46 EST 2014

Clifford,

I am puzzled by your question because much of the "no shortage of work"
that you refer to is part of the science of science. These are well known
sub-domains. So is most of the metrics work discussed by this group.
Another example is the so-called science of science policy. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_of_science_policy which says "The
science of science policy (SoSP) is an emerging
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdisciplinary_research>interdisciplinary
research area that seeks to develop theoretical and empirical models of the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_enterprise>scientific enterprise."

What else do you have in mind when you say the questions are "what is
science and the nature of science?" Many of us are working precisely on
instances of these questions, often by developing theoretical and empirical
models.

David