Open Access Metrics: Use REF2014 to Validate Metrics for REF2020

Gopal T V gopal at ANNAUNIV.EDU
Fri Dec 19 19:40:18 EST 2014

Dear Dr. Stevan Harnad,

Many thanks for the mail.

The need for Metrics is well appreciated. The efforts of eminent scholars
like you in this area are fantastic.

Coming from the domain of Software Engineering, I read the terms
Verification and Validation as follows.

Verification: Are we building the metric system right ?

[As of now, this thread is aiming to understand this aspect. Assurances
will emerge on the process of maturation of this system].

[This is based on the overall purpose for which we need this system is
built. My observations are from this standpoint].

I subscribe to Open access (OA) which primarily means unrestricted online
access to peer-reviewed scholarly research. I have following REF2014 and
the efforts are appreciated.

If a paper in "X" language is translated into "Y" language by a translator
[author(s) are only acknowledged], what will be the difference in the
rankings of these versions ?

It is your call..if we need to take this forward off-line..

Thank you again for your mail.

Warmest Regards

Gopal T V
Dr. T V Gopal