Open Access Metrics: Use REF2014 to Validate Metrics for REF2020

Mark C. Wilson mc.wilson at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Thu Dec 18 15:45:19 EST 2014

Hi

Unless I misunderstood that, you are proposing comparing "academic units” by where their publications lie on the JIF distribution. Surely it would be better to see where the actual papers lie on the individual paper citation distribution for each field. Hasn’t JIF been sufficiently discredited for measuring individual papers and researchers, e.g. by Brembs/Munafo:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3690355/ ?

Even aggregating authors into departments would produce much less reliable results than looking at the citations of the papers themselves, I guess. Is there perhaps a data collection problem, that led you to propose what I think you did?

Dr Mark C. Wilson
Department of Computer Science, University of Auckland	 |   	www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~mcw/blog/
Director, Centre for Mathematical Social Sciences: cmss.auckland.ac.nz 	|	Managing Editor, OJAC: analytic-combinatorics.org
Please don't send me Microsoft Office attachments	|		I'm boycotting Elsevier - see thecostofknowledge.com