Open Access Metrics: Use REF2014 to Validate Metrics for REF2020

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Thu Dec 18 10:58:34 EST 2014

Continuous assessment — rather than 6-yearly assessment on 4 outputs — yes.

And, yes, the REF panels did a hard job, admirably.

But you want them to be doing it on all outputs, all the time?

No. The potential of multiple, weighted Open Access metrics is precisely to allow continuous assessment, without the continuous need for peer assessment.

But for this to work the metrics and their weights have to be validated and initialized  in first first place: And this is what can be done against the REF2014 rankings.

That done, the initial weights can be updated across the years as needed, based on the growing evidence base and perhaps on the basis of evolving needs and criteria.

Ceterum censeo (adapting Bradley <https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1369088-the-man-who-is-ready-to-prove-that-metaphysical-knowledge>):

"The man who is ready to prove that metric knowledge is wholly impossible… is a brother metrician with rival metrics…”