Open Access Metrics: Use REF2014 to Validate Metrics for REF2020

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 17 14:43:06 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Loet Leydesdorff <loet at leydesdorff.net>
wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>

> Since you have said this so many times and for so many years, I assumed
> that you would have done this for REF2014. Did you?
>
> Are you calling for this to be done, or is this your own research program
> for the next few years?

Dear Loet,

I did say that I had suggested it before, unheeded!

Yes, when the REF2014 rankings are in, we will use them to start
initializing the weights on a REF2020 vector.

The methodology is similar to what we used recently to test and then update
the weights on the MELIBEA vector <http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.2926>.

With the MELIBEA vector weights we were trying to predict Open Access
Mandate effectiveness, whereas with the REF2020 vector will try to predict
REF2014 rank.

Best wishes,

Stevan