Open Access Metrics: Use REF2014 to Validate Metrics for REF2020

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Wed Dec 17 12:34:39 EST 2014

On Dec 17, 2014, at 12:15 PM, Taylor, Nicholas K <N.K.Taylor at hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> Why should the REF 2014 panellists become the Gold Standard? No disrespect but I would venture to suggest that even they would not see themselves as the optimal arbiters for all time.

REF 2014 is certainly not the gold standard for all, or for all time — but it’s clearly going to be the standard for doling out the 2014 REF gold!

And as such, it is just fine for also initializing the weights on a first approximation to a REF 2020 metric equation:

REF2020Rank =

w1(pubcount) + w2(JIF) + w3(cites) +w4(art-age) + w5(art-growth) + w6(hits) + w7(cite-peak-latency) + w8(hit-peak-latency) + w9(citedecay) + w10(hitdecay) + w11(hub-score) + w12(authority+score) + w13(h-index) + w14(prior-funding) +w15(bookcites) + w16(student-counts) + w17(co-cites + w18(co-hits) + w19(co-authors) + w20(endogamy) + w21(exogamy) + w22(co-text) + w23(tweets) + w24(tags), + w25(comments) + w26(acad-likes) etc. etc.

There’s plenty of time between now and 2020 to keep optimizing the equation, discipline by discipline, updating the initial weights as well as adding more metrics to the battery.

Stevan