Aw: [SIGMETRICS] GOOGLE SCHOLAR DIGEST. Research on Google Scholar: empirical evidences

Enrique Orduña riorma at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 30 06:33:09 EDT 2014

Dear José Luis,

Thank you very much for your quick response and cooperation, we appreciate
it very much. The idea behind this newsletter is to create a place to
openly show ideas about Google Scholar and its derivatives, and to collect
and compile information that provide empirical evidences about these tools
​.​

As for what you
​comment
 about Microsoft Academic Search, we already know the serious problems of
name disambiguation and duplicates (triplicates, etc.) that the
​ database
 have. However, what is surprising is that records start falling in 2011.

If this is
​a ​
hibernation, it is a strange behavior
​ to hibernate​
. In addition, applications for admission of new journals are still
happening with apparent normality, which is even more incomprehensible,
​in the case ​
they have decided to change the strategy.

That the product needs a revamping is clear. Anyway, the question is the
following: in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 we have been watching outdated
listings, and this has been unnoticed. Moreover, in 2013 it was
​officially ​
announced the entry of new
​journals
 and records
​, ​
when the decrease of new records from previous years was already clamorous.

We also hope that the system could reborn from its ashes, because it
provided great features in addition to proposing a completely different
model
 Google Scholar, as you know well, after the recent comparative analysis
performed from the Cybermetrics Lab.

Finally, I admit to being anxious to read your new monograph devoted
specifically to the academic search engines. We are proud that these
international-level contributions come from Spain. We will be happy to
include it in our Google Scholar Digest as we "digest it".

Best,

Enrique Orduna
​-Malea​