Current self-citation rates

White,Howard whitehd at DREXEL.EDU
Fri Apr 4 10:36:24 EDT 2014

Hi,

In my 2001 JASIST article "Authors as Citers over Time," I report self-citation rates for eight information scientists that are consistent with Loet's figures—perhaps a bit lower. There are also some leads in that piece to earlier work on the subject. Authorial self-citation is generally quite modest and reasonable.

Howard White

From: Loet Leydesdorff <loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET<mailto:loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET>>
Date: Friday, April 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM
To: "SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU<mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>" <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU<mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>>
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Current self-citation rates

Dear Jim,

I agree.
In terms of journal self-citation rates, the following on the basis of JCR 2012:

Statistics

Self-citations as percentage of references

Self-citations as percentage of citations

Valid

10611

10936

Missing

325

0

Mean

9.25841

11.73770

Median

6.13000

7.97500

Std. Deviation

10.245547

12.145664

Variance

104.971

147.517

16 journals are exclusively referencing within the journal; 2 journals are exclusively cited within the journal.

Best,
Loet

LoetLeydesdorff
Professor Emeritus, University of Amsterdam
AmsterdamSchool of Communications Research (ASCoR)
loet at leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> University of Sussex;
Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ.<http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/>, Hangzhou; Visiting Professor, ISTIC, <http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html> Beijing;
Visiting Professor, Birkbeck<http://www.bbk.ac.uk/>, University of London;