Current self-citation rates

James Hartley j.hartley at KEELE.AC.UK
Fri Apr 4 08:27:23 EDT 2014

We need to distinguish between journal self citation rates and author self
citation rates..

Jim Hartley

From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Marie McVeigh
Sent: 04 April 2014 12:45
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Current self-citation rates

Here is an old (but more recent than Seglen) reference that will give you
some sense of the distribution of self-citation rates in the Science edition
of JCR:  http://wokinfo.com/essays/journal-self-citation-jcr/

As a point of interest and comparison with Loet's number, I would suggest
also looking at the average journal-level self-citation rate.  With the
following in mind: a journal with a very low overall citation count can have
a high % of journal self-citations without this representing any problematic
pattern.   That's why multiple criteria other than journal self-citation
rate are used to consider suppression from the JCR (see:
http://wokinfo.com/media/pdf/jcr-suppression.pdf)

Marie E McVeigh