CWTS Journal Indicators

Nees Jan van Eck info at VOSVIEWER.COM
Mon Sep 30 03:37:35 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

Thank you all for your feedback on CWTS Journal Indicators.

Let me take this opportunity to respond to some of your remarks:

Loet Leydesdorff: Yes, a disadvantage of SNIP and other new journal impact
measures is their limited transparency. The calculation of SNIP and other
measures is documented in scientific papers and in that sense is quite
transparent, but in practice the calculations are indeed very difficult to
replicate. This is mainly an issue of data access. If at some point
large-scale access to bibliographic databases becomes more widely available,
replication would become more feasible. A development in this direction
would definitely be desirable. At the same time, things are not so much
different with the journal impact factor. Replicating this measure also
requires large-scale data access and also is not always straightforward.
Large-scale data access is also required for calculating and replicating
your own recently proposed measures.

Wilfred Mijnhardt: I am not sure if I understand your suggestion correctly.
Journals that are in the highest decile of their field, either based on Web
of Science/journal impact factor or based on Scopus/SNIP need not have
reliable values. CWTS Journal Indicators for instance shows a number of
journals with a very high SNIP value that at the same time also have a wide
stability interval, which indicates a relatively low reliability.

Henk Moed: Thank you for your valuable remarks on the origin of the SNIP
concept. Your remarks offer a clear description of the relationship between
the original SNIP indicator you developed and the revised SNIP indicator
currently produced by CWTS.

Yves Gingras: In some cases, I believe that working with moving averages
would make a lot of sense. However, this is something which mainly depends
on the size of journals. For a very large journal such as PLoS ONE, yearly
statistics are definitely meaningful and there is no need to work with
moving averages. For small journals, the value of yearly statistics is more
questionable. CWTS Journal Indicators offers stability intervals exactly to
deal with this difficulty. These stability intervals provide the information
necessary to determine whether yearly fluctuations are likely to be due to
chance or whether they are really meaningful. By default, CWTS Journal
Indicators also does not report statistics for journals with fewer than 50
publications. This is another way in which we try to prevent
overinterpretation of the values we provide. At the same time, I believe
that as bibliometricians we should in general not omit certain types of
information because they could potentially be misinterpreted or misused. We
should put a lot of effort into properly informing and educating the end
users of our statistics, but the final responsibility on the use of our
statistics should be with the end user.

Sylvan Katz: At CWTS, we didn’t investigate in detail the properties of the
citation distributions underlying the SNIP calculation. In general, however,
citation distributions do not exactly follow a power law (I am assuming that
this is what you mean by a ‘scaling distribution’), although their tail may
have power law properties, at least in an approximate sense. Given the
skewed nature of citation distributions, I believe that an important next
step in the development of journal impact measures could be to develop
properly normalized measures that do not rely on averages (as is also
suggested by Loet). This is for instance the approach that is taken in the
CWTS Leiden Ranking, where by default universities are ranked based on the
PP(top 10%) indicator. However, when average-based measures such as SNIP are
complemented with stability intervals, I believe that this offers a
sufficiently robust approach to deal with the skewed nature of citation
distributions.

Best regards,

Nees Jan