OA

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Thu Oct 24 11:55:39 EDT 2013

Stevan, I am well aware of your vision. I have read your NRC submission. It
just does not happen to be what the US Government is implementing. The
Brits wanted the US to follow them, but that too is not happening. The
situation is as I describe it.

David

At 10:42 AM 10/24/2013, you wrote:
> [...]
>>><http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july10/harnad/07harnad.html>No-Fault Peer
>>>Review Charges: The Price of Selectivity Need Not Be Access Denied or
>>>Delayed. D-Lib Magazine, 16, (7/8)
>>>SUMMARY: Plans by universities and research funders to pay the costs of
>>>Open Access Publishing ("Gold OA") are premature. Funds are short; 80%
>>>of journals (including virtually all the top journals) are still
>>>subscription-based, tying up the potential funds to pay for Gold OA; the
>>>asking price for Gold OA is still high; and there is concern that paying
>>>to publish may inflate acceptance rates and lower quality standards.
>>>What is needed now is for universities and funders to mandate OA
>>>self-archiving (of authors' final peer-reviewed drafts, immediately upon
>>>acceptance for publication) ("Green OA"). That will provide immediate
>>>OA; and if and when universal Green OA should go on to make
>>>subscriptions unsustainable (because users are satisfied with just the
>>>Green OA versions) that will in turn induce journals to cut costs (print
>>>edition, online edition, access-provision, archiving), downsize to just
>>>providing the service of peer review, and convert to the Gold OA
>>>cost-recovery model; meanwhile, the subscription cancellations will have
>>>released the funds to pay these residual service costs. The natural way
>>>to charge for the service of peer review then will be on a "no-fault
>>>basis," with the author's institution or funder paying for each round of
>>>refereeing, regardless of outcome (acceptance, revision/re-refereeing,
>>>or rejection). This will minimize cost while protecting against inflated
>>>acceptance rates and decline in quality standards.

>>>On leads vs. lags and analysis vs argument, see:
>>>
>>><http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/1027-.html>Revealing
>>>Dialogue on "CHORUS" with David Wojick, OSTI Consultant
>>>

>>>The exchange is preceded by the following note (by me):
>>>
>>>Note: <http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/about/>David Wojick works part
>>>time as the Senior Consultant for Innovation at
>>><http://www.osti.gov/home/>OSTI, the Office of Scientific and Technical
>>>Information, in the Office of Science of the US Department of Energy. He
>>>has a PhD in logic and philosophy of science, an MA in mathematical
>>>logic, and a BS in civil engineering. In the exchanges below, he sounds
>>>[to me] very much like a publishing interest lobbyist, but judge for
>>>yourself. He also turns out to have a rather curious [and to me
>>>surprising]
>>><http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=David_E._Wojick>history in
>>>environmental matters

>>>The topic continued (and continues) to be discussed on the Society for
>>>Scholarly Publishing's blog,
>>>"<http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/about/>The Scholarly Kitchen,"
>>>where DW is a frequent contributor.
>>>
>>>DW: "Peter Suber is a leader of the OA movement. His article is an
>>>argument, not an analysis. He seems to be oblivious to what is actually
. Happy OA week."