How to evaluate individual researchers

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Wed Oct 16 03:52:16 EDT 2013

Dear Lutz and Werner,

I read your paper with interest. You plead for using a balanced set of indicators as partial perspectives. That seems all very reasonable.

A bit unexpected is your strong plea for using the Category Ranks of Thomson Reuters instead of the JIF. You call these “Normalized Journal Positions”. In the case of more than a single category for a journal, you average them. I don’t understand how one can use these measures at the journal level subsequently at the level of individual papers? As expected values against which one can test individual scores? Is there empirical evidence that this journal measure is much better than a number of others? (e.g., fractional counting, I3, eigenfactor, SJR2, SNIP2, etc.)

The title suggests also a number of ethical issues. What are the rights of the evaluated? For example, in terms of transparency of the data and methods? Is this different for public (academic and governmental) research institutions such as your own from in the case of a commercial contract on the market? In the latter case it seems up to the employer how to use the report, but in the case of academic contributions one could expect a code of conduct in relation to issues as data and transparency. How does one handle errors in the data?

Let me provide an example. A few years ago, our faculty was evaluated by CWTS in Leiden. During this process, each of us were asked to check a list provided by CWTS. I noted that one of my papers was misclassified in the data (WoS). While it was a citable item (anonymously refereed), it was classified as non-citable editorial. This could not be corrected.

I don’t mind, but if one is on tenure-track. ?? These issues also come up at institutional levels, but they are more pronounced at the individual level. What are the rights of those who are evaluated? Does one perhaps need a lawyer? Is there an appeal with the database producers and/or analysts? How does the Max Planck Society handle these issues? There may be real damages; who is accountable? We know the pitfalls of these evaluations.

Best,

Loet