Conception and improvement of a new citation-rank approach in bibliometrics

Bornmann, Lutz lutz.bornmann at GV.MPG.DE
Fri Oct 11 02:50:58 EDT 2013

From P100 to P100’: Conception and improvement of a new citation-rank approach in bibliometrics

Lutz Bornmann, Rüdiger Mutz

Properties of a percentile-based rating scale needed in bibliometrics are formulated. Based on these properties, P100 was recently introduced as a new citation-rank approach (Bornmann, Leydesdorff, & Wang, in press). In this paper, we conceptualize P100 and propose an improvement which we call P100’. Advantages and disadvantages of citation-rank indicators are noted.

available at:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.0667

---------------------------------------

Dr. Dr. habil. Lutz Bornmann
Division for Science and Innovation Studies
Administrative Headquarters of the Max Planck Society
Hofgartenstr. 8
80539 Munich
Tel.: +49 89 2108 1265
Mobil: +49 170 9183667