CWTS Journal Indicators

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Tue Oct 8 12:30:27 EDT 2013

From: Stephen J Bensman
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:28 AM
To: 'j.s.katz at sussex.ac.uk'
Subject: RE: [SIGMETRICS] CWTS Journal Indicators

Sylvan,
I have read and am reading all that you suggested below.  What has happened to me is that I stumbled into a scientific revolution that I did not know about--complex systems, and this revolution is encompassing informetrics.  I am very interested in the Yule-Simon distribution, because I am interested in Google Scholar.  What I call "Yule Simon" model and you call the power- law model is of interest to me, because it is an accepted model for both the structure of the Web and scientometric laws.  Therefore it is a perfect model to serve as a foil for cross-disciplinary comparisons to determine how well different disciplines approximate this model.  It really reveals the differences between the structure of disciplines.  For example, we find that economics may approximate what Clauset-Shalizi-Newman in their SIAM article call "the power-law +cut-off" because Google citations concentrate on the key book of economist Nobelists, shooting it far to the right and distorting the distribution, whereas mathematics cannot come anywhere near  the power-law model due to the insularity of the subfields.  Mathematicians cannot communicate with each other across sub-disciplines  and have difficulty in farting out a right asymptote at all (pardon my Shakespearian language).

Perhaps you can help me.  I need to make the tests recommended by Clauset-Shalizi-Newman in their SIAM article.  That way I can go from r^2 approximations to "null-and-alternate hypotheses."  I cannot handle their tests and need a computer program that can do this for me--power-law testing for dummies.  We have found that, if you have a power-law + cut-off, it gives false, ridiculous readings on the r^2 approximations.  We find that if you truncate the book, the model does more approach a power-law model.  I am working with some mathematicians on this, and I hope that they can handle this, but mathematicians are not physicists.  Perhaps they can help you with your problem.  If you want, I can send you my binomial analysis of the Clauset-Shalizi-Newman findings.  For example, discrete or counting distributions are more likely than continuous distributions to approximate the power-law model.

Hopefully, if I can survive Chico, I may be able to survive this.  As Nietzsche once said, "What does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Stephen J Bensman
LSU Libraries
Lousiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803