Paper on scientometrics

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Sun Jul 28 09:03:38 EDT 2013

In fact I am disturbed by all the policy rhetoric about funding more breakthroughs, especially in the field of energy. That is not how science works. Revolutions are rare events because it takes a long time to work through a paradigm. There are normally no short cuts to revolution.

Dear David,

I agree: Kuhnian revolutions involve incommensurabilities and are thus by definition unexpected. Perhaps, one can find indicators of the crises that precede the revolutions, but these crises will not be a good bet for funding because they can last for long periods of time.

I assume that policy makers mean to fund the upscaling of revolutionary developments.

Best,