Research Community Interests and the Publishing Lobby's Latest Trojan Horse (CHORUS)

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Tue Jul 23 09:47:19 EDT 2013

I have already responded to these points. The publisher's self interested motivation is to keep the web traffic to its journals. Studies suggest they are losing 20% to PMC. The publishers believe this, whether it is true or not, thus their motivation.

The mandate is that the articles be made publicly accessible and the articles are the publisher's so they are not third party contractors, whatever that might mean. The fundees need play no role. The publishers are making a ground breaking concession by agreeing to the Federal embargo deadlines. This is great news for OA. I have no idea what you mean by letting them sit. They will be on view in their on-line journals, which is arguably where they belong.

The repository approach made sense when the publishers refused to provide access. That day has passed.

David Wojick