Research Community Interests and the Publishing Lobby's Latest Trojan Horse (CHORUS)

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 23 00:27:06 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM, David Wojick <dwojick at craigellachie.us>wrote:

> The Federal OA program is controlled by the Federal Government, so all
> your talk of ceding control is just a rhetorical device. Neither the
> fundees, the institutions nor the journals control it, except to the extent
> that the journals make the publication decisions. So no one is ceding
> control to anyone. And I repeat that the journals are part of the
> community, a central part. (You are doing your private language thing
> again. You do it a lot.)
>
> Under CHORUS the lead author merely has to check a box indicating the
> funder. The institutions have to do nothing more, nor does the fundee. The
> journal then gives the article link to the agency and makes the article
> publicly available at the agency controlled time. This is enormously
> simpler than creating repositories that fundees have to populate and
> funders have to work with (and someone has to build and maintain). In
> essence the article is published and the agency links to it. That is all
> and it cannot be any simpler than this. Creating a parallel universe of
> redundant repositories must be more complex, costly and burdensome.

As far as I know, the publishers' CHORUS deal that you describe (and that I
have referred to in my not-so-private language argument as a Trojan Horse)
has not yet been accepted by the Federal Government, nor by its funding
agencies.

Maybe they will accept it, maybe they won't. I and many others have been
describing the many reasons they should *not* accept it.

You are repeating arguments about the redundancy and complexity and
costliness of repositories to which I and many others have already replied.

But I am not trying to persuade you that researchers using their keystrokes
to deposit in OA repositories is better for research and for OA than
letting publishers do it for them: The ones I and many others are trying to
persuade of that are the same ones that you and the rest of the publisher
lobby are trying to persuade of the opposite: the Federal government and
its research funding agencies.

May the best outcome (for the research community) win.

I want to close by reminding inquiring readers of just one of the many
points that David Wojick and the other CHORUS lobbyists keep passing over
in silence:

The Government directive is not to make funded research freely accessible
12 months after publication but *within 12 months of publication*.

The publishers' Trojan Horse would not only take mandate compliance out of
the hands of fundees, making compliance depend on publishers rather than
fundees, but *it would also ensure that the research would not be made
freely accessible one minute before the full 12 months had elapsed*.

If I were a publisher, interested only in protecting my current income
streams, come what may, I'd certainly lobby for that, just as I would lobby
for the untrammelled cigarette ads and zones, if I were a tobacco company,
interested only in protecting my current income streams, come what may; or
for the untrammelled manufacture and use of plastic bags, if I were a
plastic bag company with similar "community" interests.

CHORUS is a terrific way of locking in publisher embargoes and Delayed
Access for years and years to come, thereby leaving payment for Fools Gold
as the sole option for providing immediate OA.

Stevan Harnad

(Shades of Finch -- and RWA, and PRISM... The publishing lobby is a "part"
of the research "community" indeed, heroically defending "our" joint
interests! I'm ready for the usual next piece of rhetoric, about how
un-embargoed Green OA would destroy journal publishing, and with it peer
review and research quality and reliability... We've heard it
all<http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#38-worries>,
many times over, for close to 25 years now...)