Tripping Point: Delayed Access is not Open Access; "Chorus" is a Trojan Horse

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Sun Jul 21 12:13:14 EDT 2013

Dear Stevan,

This is not about author self archiving, which is a separate issue, so I
see no Trojan horse. It is about the design of the Federal program, where I
see no reason for redundant Federal archiving . There is nothing in the
CHORUS approach to the Federal program design that precludes author self
archiving in institutional repositories as a separate activity.

The journals are part of the research community and they have always been
the principal archive. With CHORUS they will be again. After all the entire
process is based on the article being published in the journal. It is true
that this is all future tense including the Federal program, but the design
principles are here and now.

I repeat, immediate access is not a design alternative. The OSTP guidance
is clear about that. So most of your points are simply irrelevant to the
present situation.

David Wojick