The "Academic Trace" of the Performance Matrix: A Mathematical Synthesis of the h-Index and the Integrated Impact Indicator (I3)

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Fri Jul 19 02:55:05 EDT 2013

The  <http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.3616> "Academic Trace" of the Performance
Matrix:
A Mathematical Synthesis of the h-Index and the Integrated Impact Indicator
(I3)

The h-index provides us with nine natural classes which can be written as a
matrix of three vectors. The three vectors are: X=(X1, X2, X3) indicate
publication distribution in the h-core, the h-tail, and the uncited ones,
respectively; Y=(Y1, Y2, Y3) denote the citation distribution of the h-core,
the h-tail and the so-called "excess" citations (above the h-threshold),
respectively; and Z=(Z1, Z2, Z3)= (Y1-X1, Y2-X2, Y3-X3). The matrix
V=(X,Y,Z)T constructs a measure of academic performance, in which the nine
numbers can all be provided with meanings in different dimensions. The
"academic trace" tr(V) of this matrix follows naturally, and contributes a
unique indicator for total academic achievements by summarizing and
weighting the accumulation of publications and citations. This measure can
also be used to combine the advantages of the h-index and the Integrated
Impact Indicator (I3) into a single number with a meaningful interpretation
of the values. We illustrate the use of tr(V) for the cases of two journal
sets, two universities, and ourselves as two individual authors.

.        Available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.3616 .

Fred Y. Ye *

School of Information Management,

Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, CHINA

yye at nju.edu.cn

University of Amsterdam, 1012 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net

** apologies for cross-postings