Worldwide Topology of the Scientific Subject Profile: A Macro Approach in the Country Level - final version

Andrea Scharnhorst andrea.scharnhorst at DANS.KNAW.NL
Fri Dec 13 04:44:24 EST 2013

And one more 'historic' reference – Manfred Bonitz introduced what was called the science strategy index, and compared the disciplinary profiles of countries – we even tried to plot this over time for the 80's and 90's – all inspired by the great work of the Budapest group – good to see that this mega effort is not forgotten yet

http://www.virtualknowledgestudio.nl/staff/andrea-scharnhorst/documents/the-science-strategy-index.pdf Bonitz
profiles over time
http://www.virtualknowledgestudio.nl/staff/andrea-scharnhorst/documents/constructing-knowledge-landscapes.pdf

Andrea

From: Anne-Wil Harzing <anne-wil at HARZING.COM<mailto:anne-wil at HARZING.COM>>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:35:46 +0100
To: "SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU<mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>" <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU<mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>>
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Worldwide Topology of the Scientific Subject Profile: A Macro Approach in the Country Level - final version

Thanks Victor,

We just published a paper with a very similar theme in Journal of Informetrics. It is available for free until the end of January through this link:

http://elsarticle.com/18ATXK0<http://mail.elsevier-alerts.com/go.asp?/bESJ001/mCGPFMCF/qU7YOMCF/uKCD443F/xY34YNCF/cutf%2D8>

The competitive advantage of nations: An application to academia

 *   Anne-Wil Harzing<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1751157713000849#>a<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1751157713000849#aff0005>,
 *   Axèle Giroud<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1751157713000849#>b<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1751157713000849#aff0010>,

 *   a University of Melbourne, Department of Management and Marketing, Parkville Campus, Victoria 3010, Australia
 *   b Manchester Business School, Booth Street West, Manchester M15 6PB, UK

________________________________
Abstract

Within the field of bibliometrics, there is sustained interest in how nations “compete” in terms of academic disciplines, and what determinants explain why countries may have a specific advantage in one discipline over another. However, this literature has not, to date, presented a comprehensive structured model that could be used in the interpretation of a country's research profile and academic output. In this paper, we use frameworks from international business and economics to present such a model.

Our study makes four major contributions. First, we include a very wide range of countries and disciplines, explicitly including the Social Sciences, which unfortunately are excluded in most bibliometrics studies. Second, we apply theories of revealed comparative advantage and the competitive advantage of nations to academic disciplines. Third, we cluster our 34 countries into five different groups that have distinct combinations of revealed comparative advantage in five major disciplines. Finally, based on our empirical work and prior literature, we present an academic diamond that details factors likely to explain a country's research profile and competitiveness in certain disciplines.

Best wishes,
Anne-Wil

The Publish or Perish Book:
Your guide to effective and responsible citation analysis
http://www.harzing.com/popbook.htm

Prof. Anne-Wil Harzing
Professor of International Management
Faculty of Business and Economics, University of Melbourne
website: www.harzing.com<http://www.harzing.com>, email: anne at harzing.com<mailto:anne at harzing.com>