Coming Attractions: Garfield, Narin, & PageRank

Bosman, J.M. j.bosman at UU.NL
Fri Dec 13 00:58:34 EST 2013

Dear Stephen,

Although I do not quite get what you are trying to tell me in your reaction, I await your paper with interest.

Best,
Jeroen

Op 12 dec. 2013 om 21:46 heeft "Stephen J Bensman" <notsjb at LSU.EDU<mailto:notsjb at LSU.EDU>> het volgende geschreven:

Jeroen,
Thank you for the comment.  With any luck I should have it posted tomorrow.

I have a doctorate in history from one of the top universities in the US in this field—the University of Wisconsin at Madison (Go Badgers!).  I  have gone through historical documentation, and the evidence is overwhelming.  Moreover, the damn thing works,  I got the results that would be predicted by Garfield’s law of concentration and his view of the importance of review journals.  I have also done a Google Cites on myself, and it captures me quite well, pretty much replicating what ISI cites say about me.  I was amazed that Google did it in about 45 seconds.  The option is that I can make it public, or I can keep it private, but Harzing’s program yields the same results.  You cannot investigate GS without her program.

Page and Brin are astute businessmen, and you really do not think that they will waste the time and money developing a different algorithm just for GS.  If you think that, then I have a  bridge that I can sell you.  They run their operation with cheap computers that you can buy off the shelf at Wal-Mart.

GS has an advantage in that it retrieves from institutional repositories, and it seems that institutional repositories are replacing journals as the main source of developing science information.  Physics has been that way for a long time.  Journals are really just archival.  All universities, including LSU, are developing institutional repositories for this reason.

GS threatens many vested interests, and I have catching a lot of flak.  It is amazing how little understood GS is—almost deliberately so.  This is my way of throwing down the gauntlet.

Respectfully,

SB