Worldwide Topology of the Scientific Subject Profile: A Macro Approach in the Country Level - final version

Victor Herrero victorherrero at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 12 18:08:45 EST 2013

 Worldwide Topology of the Scientific Subject Profile: A Macro Approach in
the Country Level

Abstract

Background
Models for the production of knowledge and systems of innovation and
science are key elements for characterizing a country in view of its
scientific thematic profile. With regard to scientific output and
publication in journals of international visibility, the countries of the
world may be classified into three main groups according to their thematic
bias.

Methodology/Principal Findings
This paper aims to classify the countries of the world in several broad
groups, described in terms of behavioural models that attempt to sum up the
characteristics of their systems of knowledge and innovation. We perceive
three clusters in our analysis: 1) the biomedical cluster, 2) the basic
science & engineering cluster, and 3) the agricultural cluster. The
countries are conceptually associated with the clusters via Principal
Component Analysis (PCA), and a Multidimensional Scaling (MDS) map with all
the countries is presented.

Conclusions/Significance
As we have seen, insofar as scientific output and publication in journals
of international visibility is concerned, the countries of the world may be
classified into three main groups according to their thematic profile.
These groups can be described in terms of behavioral models that attempt to
sum up the characteristics of their systems of knowledge and innovation.

 Félix Moya-Anegón* & Víctor Herrero-Solana**

* CSIC/CCHS/IPP, SCImago Group, Madrid, Spain
** University Granada, SCImago-UGR, Granada, Spain

    Published: December 09, 2013
    DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0083222

final version:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0083222

** apologies for cross-postings

Víctor Herrero-Solana
victorhs at ugr.es
www.ugr.es/~victorhs
scholar.google.com/citations?user=OKIleUEAAAAJ
orcid.org/0000-0003-1142-5074
SCImago-UGR
Universidad de Granada
www.scimagojr.com