Elsevier is taking down papers from Academia.edu

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 7 08:04:41 EST 2013

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> List members may be aware that Elsevier sent out thousands of take-down
> notices for Green OA yesterday. See
> http://svpow.com/2013/12/06/elsevier-is-taking-down-papers-from-academia-edu/and much twitter discussion.
>
> These manuscripts are Green. They are self archived by authors after
> publication.
>
> But this is forbidden by Elsevier - the manuscripts can only be posted in
> an Institutional Repository (and then, I assume, only if there is no
> mandate requiring deposition).
>
> This is lunacy and it's to the discredit of the academics that they play
> this convoluted and sterile game created by the publishers. Publishers'
> reason for insisting on IRs over Academia.edu is that readers actually use
> Academia.
>
> The purpose of the BOAI declaration was to make scholarship available to
> everyone. This farce makes scholarship available to almost no-one.

Don't (just) boycott or fulminate: Deposit!

Elsevier may have enough clout with take-down notices to 3rd-party service
providers (and might be able to weather the backlash blizzard that will
follow) -- but not with institutions self-archiving their own research
output.

I take this as yet another cue to push 100% for immediate institutional
deposit mandates and the Button from all institutions and funders.

Since 2004 Elsevier formally recognizes their authors' right to do
immediate, unembargoed OA self-archiving on their institutional website.

And even if they ever do try to rescind that, closed-access deposit is
immune to take-down notices.

(But I don't think Elsevier will dare arouse that global backlash by
rescinding its 9-year policy of endorsing unembargoed Green OA -- they will
instead try to hope that they can either bluff authors off with their
empty-double-talk about "systematicity" and "voluntariness" or buy their
institutions off by sweetening their publication deal on condition they
don't mandate Green OA…)