OA Growth Monitoring Needs a Google Data-Mining Exemption

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 23 11:13:20 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Burns, Christopher S  wrote:

> Although a harvester would be very nice, sampling theory and some manual
> work does the trick too... [in my dissertation] I took the sample in May
> 2010 and collected

bibliometric and other relevant data from Google Scholar in July 2010, July
> 2011,

and July 2012.

Yes, hand-sampling can and does provide valuable information.

But, as I said, for systematic ongoing monitoring of the global time-course
of OA growth across institutions, disciplines and nations, hand-sampling
is excruciatingly difficult and time-consuming, holding research that could
greatly benefit the worldwide research community (as well as Google and
Google Scholar) to a scale and pace that is more suitable for a doctoral
dissertation.

Historically speaking, if a few projects designed to monitor the ongoing
global growth and distribution of OA were allowed to do machine data-mining
in Google space, the growth rate of OA would be dramatically accelerated
(and thereby also the size and functionality of Google Scholar space).

Otherwise, efforts to enrich Google Scholar space are relegated to the same
fate as attempts to enrich vendors, spammers, napsters or phishermen.

Stevan Harnad