ODIN Conference - 15-17 October - Geneva (Switzerland)

Patricia Sigrid Herterich patricia.herterich at CERN.CH
Thu Aug 8 10:44:03 EDT 2013

--- apologies for cross-posting, but we hope you find this interesting---

Only two months left until the 1st year ODIN conference!

We are pleased to invite you to the first year conference and codesprint that will mark our half-way through the two-year project. The event will take place 15-17 October at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland.

http://indico.cern.ch/event/odin-1st-year

About ODIN

ODIN (ORCID and DataCite Interoperability Network) is a two-year project that makes the next step towards increasing the interoperability of persistent author and object identifiers; this is being done with an interdisciplinary and global consortium. The project partners are Australian National Data Services (ANDS), the British Library, CERN, the Cornell University Library (arXiv), the International Data Citing Initiative (DataCite), Duke University (Dryad Digital Repository), and the Open Researcher and Contributor ID Initiative (ORCID).

The codesprint

The codesprint is an almost two-day long hands-on technical workshop. Participants from ODIN partner organizations and external experts will join resources and efforts on coding projects to demonstrate the potential of the identifier “awareness layer” which is at the heart of ODIN’s mission.

http://odin-project.eu/mission/

Check this page for a list of the first submitted codesprint projects. Please let us know yours and submit yours alongside with your registration!

http://indico.cern.ch/internalPage.py?pageId=0&confId=238868

The conference

The final day of the event is a conference open to all, where ODIN partners will share the results from the first half of the 2-year project and receive feedback from the community. In addition to ODIN partners themselves, representatives from numerous stakeholder organizations will attend and present, including ORCID and Datacite, CERIF/EuroCRIS, UK DataService, PLoS and others from a various set of disciplines. The conference will have its opening words by the Director General of CERN Rolf Heuer and Thierry Van Der Pyl, Director of Excellence in Science at the European Commission.

The program of the conference is available here:

http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceTimeTable.py?confId=238868#20131017

The venue

As CERN is the home of the Large Hadron Collider, first-time visitors might find a particular part of the program very interesting – the participants will have the chance to get a guided tour around [one of] the world’s largest laboratories.

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/accelerators/large-hadron-collider

How to participate

Feel free to register, to leave suggestions about other codesprint projects and contact us in case you have any questions or problems.

http://indico.cern.ch/confRegistrationFormDisplay.py/display?confId=238868

Check the event page for the latest information, including the program, accommodation (on CERN site) and more:

http://odin-project.eu/events/1st-year-big-bang-and-codesprint/

We are looking forward to welcoming you in Geneva in October!