Problems with Web of Science

Asbjørn Dahl dahl.asbjorn at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 8 10:04:07 EDT 2013

The inaccuracies of publication and citation indices are a well known
problem.
I have not done a thorough review of the literature, but you could read
more in this paper:
http://www.produ-science.udl.cat/psycho/public/p_1.pdf
Others might be able to chip in with additional sources.

The cleanliness of bibliometric data is a serious but hard issue. It is
often countered, however, by invoking the law of large numbers; as long as
huge amounts of publication data are used - the general trends should stand
out.