bibliographic coupling and co-citation analysis

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Fri Apr 26 08:39:34 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

In reaction to a discussion on the Pajek list, I updated the routines
bibcoupl.exe and bibjourn.exe (at
http://www.leydesdorff.net/software/bibcoupl and
http://www.leydesdorff.net/software/bibjourn , respectively) so that they
are compatible with 64-bits operating systems and the output files are more
general (in the Pajek format).

Bibcoupl.exe uses downloads from Thomson-Reuters' "Web of Science" (Science
Citation Index) and provides the input files for bibliographic coupling in
Pajek and SPSS. Alternatively, co-citation analysis is possible by
downloading from WoS the citing documents of the document set under study
instead of this latter set itself.

Bibjourn.exe uses the journal names in the cited references of the download
for mapping the knowledge base of a document set in terms of the journals
cited. Technically, this is co-citation analysis of journals in the document
set under study.

The routines provide the symmetrical co-occurrence matrix (coocc.dat), the
asymmetrical cases/variables matrix (matrix.txt) in which the documents are
the cases and the author names or journal names the variables, the
spss-syntax for value labels (.sps), and the cosine-similarity matrix among
the variables (cosine.dat) in the Pajek format.

Both routines have a systems limitation of 1023 variables. (Perhaps, this is
no longer needed given the new compilers.) I'll test that later and update
if possible.

Best wishes,

Loet

** apologies for cross-postings.