Does the specification of uncertainty hurt the progress of science?

Jesper Wiborg Schneider jws at CFA.AU.DK
Tue Sep 25 03:56:30 EDT 2012

Dear Loet,

I certainly do not argue against the "specification of uncertainty" - on the contrary I endorse "estimation" and "confidence intervals" - what I do point out is that "specification of uncertainty" indeed have meta-theoretical underpinnings and that it comes with assumptions. If the assumptions are not fulfilled, such as randomness, "specification of uncertainty" becomes a rather meaningless task.

I give some suggestions in the paper (and below) for best practice if one has a frequentist approach to inferential statistics - it should be clear from these that I have no quarrels with the "specification of uncertainty" - what worries me is the way inferential statistics are most often practiced and the epistemic weight we give the results even when the assumptions are clearly violated.

A preprint of the accepted version of the paper will be available tomorrow at the arXiv

1) statistical inference only makes sense when data come from a probability sample or have been randomly assigned to treatment and control groups;
2) whenever possible take an estimation framework, starting with the formulation of research aims such as "how much?" or "to what extent?";
3) interpretation of research results should be based on point and interval estimates;
4) calculate effect size estimates and confidence intervals to answer those questions, then interpret results based on informed judgment;
5) if statistical significance tests are used, (a) information on power must be reported, and (b) the null hypothesis should be plausible;
6) effect sizes and confidence intervals must be reported whenever possible for all effects studied, whether large or small, statistically significant or not;
7) exact p values should be reported;
8) it is unacceptable to describe results solely in terms of statistical significance;
9) use the word "significant" without the qualifier "statistically" only to describe results that are truly noteworthy;
10) it is the researcher's responsibility to explain why the results have substantive significance; statistical tests are inadequate for this purpose;
11) replication is the best way to deal with sampling error.

Kind regards - Jesper

_____________________

Jesper W. Schneider
Senior Researcher, PhD

Aarhus University
Business and Social Sciences
Danish Centre for Studies in Research & Research Policy,
Department of Political Science & Government

Finlandsgade 4
DK-8200 Aarhus N
Denmark

T: +45 8716 5241