FW: A MATHEMATICAL MODEL FOR CO-DISCOVERY IN SCIENCE

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Thu Sep 20 13:26:43 EDT 2012

________________________________
From: Vicente Aboites [mailto:aboites at cio.mx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:10 PM
To: Garfield, Eugene
Subject: A MATHEMATICAL MODEL FOR CO-DISCOVERY IN SCIENCE

http://www.ijpam.eu/contents/2012-79-2/15/15.pdf

International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics
Volume 79 No. 2 2012, 357-373

A MODEL FOR CO-DISCOVERY IN SCIENCE
BASED ON THE SYNCHRONIZATION OF GAUSS MAPS

Abstract: In this article we present an explanation for co-discovery in science.
Our core proposal is that co-discovery i.e. the synchronization of different
people offering the same (or very similar) ideas, takes place when a common
external action is provided by an external and common information flux. In our
mathematical model this external action takes the form of a chaotic or a noisy
signal. From our model we obtain an estimation for the number of co-discoveries
expected for the 21th century which will be in the order of thousands.

With best greetings

Dr. Vicente Aboites