The Triple Helix of UIG Relations and Globalization

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Sep 10 06:36:20 EDT 2012

The Triple Helix of University-Industry-Government Relations at the Country
Level, and Its Dynamic Evolution under the Pressures of Globalization
<http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.1260>

We collect data from Web of Science (WoS), and compute the configurational
information among university, industrial, and governmental addresses (U-I-G)
at the country level. The relations between mutual information, joint
entropy, and configurational information are first explicated. Comparing
developed and developing countries, the dynamic evolution of the triple
helix can be measured. The results show that the configurations among the
three subsystems U-I-G become less negative over time. We suggest that
globalization erodes local triple helix relations and thus can be expected
to increase uncertainty in national systems during the more recent period.

Fred Y. Ye, Susan S. Yu, & Loet Leydesdorff

<available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.1260>

** apologies for cross-postings

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel. +31-20-525 6598; fax: +31-842239111

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Visiting Professor,  <http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html> ISTIC,
Beijing; Honorary Fellow,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University