Ranking Web (Webometrics) of Universities

Charles H. Davis davisc at INDIANA.EDU
Sun Sep 9 11:16:17 EDT 2012

Dear Isidro, et al. --

Point taken.  However, these are exceptional examples.  I did not mean
to impugn the work of crystallographers of such caliber.  I did mean to
point out that much of their work is routine.  Moreover, many of the
people, not necessarily crystallographers, who make comparatively
slight contributions to an article would in the past have been placed
in an acknowledgement, not as co-authors.

Acknowledgements are important too, but placing scores of people as
co-authors greatly complicates assessing who is responsible for what.

See for example:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/%28SICI%291097-4571%28199312%2944:10%3C590::AID-ASI5%3E3.0.CO;2-U/abstract

In this paper, Davis (c'est moi) and Cronin point out that
acknowledgments follow a power curve, perhaps a factor inducing the
placement of people as co-authors in this era of publish and/or perish.

I have no objection to including as co-authors either crystallographers
or anyone else who makes a substantive intellectual contribution to a
research project and its resulting publication.

Cordially,

Charles H. Davis, Ph.D.