Testing the Finch Hypothesis on Green OA Mandate Ineffectiveness

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 28 17:25:57 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM, leo waaijers <leowaa at xs4all.nl> wrote:

 A good insight in OA versus non-OA publishing and, within OA, about Green
> versus Gold may be gained from a recent BMC-article<http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/10/124>"Anatomy of open access publishing: a study of longitudinal development and
> internal structure" bij Mikael Laakso and Bo-Christer Björk.

That Laakso & Björk article calculates the annual proportion of articles
indexed by WoS and SCOPUS that are published in Gold OA journals (about 12%
in 2011). (An additional 5% defined as "delayed Gold," embargoed for up to
a year, seems to be credited to the wrong year: An article is only OA when
it is OA.)

L & B provide no evidence about Green versus Gold (so I'm not sure what
insight Leo has in mind). Unmandated Green OA (24%) is at least twice
annual Gold OA annually, and mandated Green OA (70%+) is six times annual
Gold OA.

The only Green vs Gold insight I can discern in this is that universities
and funders should mandate Green OA, now, instead of waiting for Gold OA --
or double-paying for Gold pre-emptively, as the Finch Report proposes doing
(on the basis of the Finch Hypothesis that Green OA mandates are
ineffective -- which is precisely what our new data refute...).

Stevan Harnad