New papers published in the ejournal Cybermetrics

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at CCHS.CSIC.ES
Wed May 30 05:04:02 EDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

Due to circumstances out of our control, the url of the electronic
journal has changed to
http://cybermetrics.cindoc.csic.es/.
Please update your records accordingly.

There are two new papers that can be of your interest:
Levene, M.; Fenner, T. & Bar-Ilan, J. (2012). A bibliometric index based
on the complete list of cited Publications. Cybermetrics, 16(1):Paper 1

We propose a new index, the j-index, which is defined for an author as
the sum of the square roots of the numbers of citations to each of the
author’s publications. The idea behind the j-index it to remedy a
drawback of the h-index - that the h-index does not take into account
the full citation record of a researcher. The square root function is
motivated by our desire to avoid the possible bias that may occur with a
simple sum when an author has several very highly cited papers. We
compare the j-index to the h-index, the g-index and the total citation
count for three subject areas using several association measures. Our
results indicate that that the association between the j-index and the
other indices varies according to the subject area. One explanation of
this variation may be due to the proportion of citations to publications
of the researcher that are in the h-core. The j-index is not an h-index
variant, and as such is intended to complement rather than necessarily
replace the h-index and other bibliometric indicators, thus providing a
more complete picture of a researcher’s achievements

http://cybermetrics.cindoc.csic.es/articles/v16i1p1.html
http://cybermetrics.cindoc.csic.es/articles/v16i1p1.pdf

Moskovkin, V. M.; Delux, T. & Moskovkina, M. V. (2012). Comparative
Analysis of University Publication Activity by Google Scholar (On
Example of Leading Czech and Germany Universities). Cybermetrics,
16(1):Paper 2

With the help of the Google Scholar search engine, we have studied in
detail the aggregated publication structure of the leading universities
in the Czech Republic and Germany. We have also classified these
structures and identified structural changes in them for German
universities. These shifts have been observed in the Free University of
Berlin and Humboldt University, and they all occurred within 5 years in
the first decade of the 21st century when the major university
publication activity moved from the sphere of medical research to the
area of social sciences and humanities. Prospects for further research
are in the comparative analysis of university publication activities
with the help of Web of Science, Scopus and Google Scholar facilities.

http://cybermetrics.cindoc.csic.es/articles/v16i1p2.html
http://cybermetrics.cindoc.csic.es/articles/v16i1p2.pdf

--

Isidro F. Aguillo, HonPhD