Papers of interest to SIG-Metrics Listserv

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Tue Mar 6 12:54:22 EST 2012

TITLE:          Library and Information Science research areas: A content
                analysis of articles from the top 10 journals 2007-8 (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Aharony, N
SOURCE:         JOURNAL OF LIBRARIANSHIP AND INFORMATION SCIENCE 44 (1).
                MAR 2012. p.27-35 SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD, LONDON

SEARCH TERM(S):  LIPETZ BA  rauth; JOURNALS  item_title

KEYWORDS:       content analysis; LIS research areas; top journals
KEYWORDS+:       WEB; EVOLUTION; INTERNET; SITES

ABSTRACT:       The current study seeks to describe and analyze journal
research publications in the top 10 Library and Information Science journals from 2007-8. The paper presents a statistical descriptive analysis of authorship patterns (geographical distribution and
affiliation) and keywords. Furthermore, it displays a thorough content analysis of keywords and abstracts extracted from 10 leading Information Science journals in 2007-8, using Zins' (2007) classification scheme of Information Science. The main results suggest the tendency of authors towards collaboration in authorship. North American and European authors - from the core discipline of Librarianship and Information Science - can be considered as leaders in the top 10 LIS journals. Furthermore, there are three major cores of research in these journals: information technology, methodology and social information science. It is important that LIS researchers, professionals, teachers and students be keenly aware of the updated main spheres of research in top leading LIS journals.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: N Aharony, Bar Ilan Univ, Dept Informat Sci, IL-52900 Ramat
                Gan, Israel

TITLE:          The FAO global capture production database: A six-decade
                effort to catch the trend (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Garibaldi, L
SOURCE:         MARINE POLICY 36 (3). MAY 2012. p.760-768 ELSEVIER SCI
                LTD, OXFORD

SEARCH TERM(S):  GARFIELD E  rauth

KEYWORDS:       FAO capture database; Catch statistics; Trend studies;
                FAO fishing areas; ASFIS list of species
KEYWORDS+:       FISHERIES CATCHES

ABSTRACT:       With data series extending for 60 years, including catch
data for almost 1850 species items, and reflecting geo-political, historical and natural events, the FAO capture database provides a service to the community interested in fishery information. Over 600 articles from refereed journals cited the database in the last 15 years.
Species included grew significantly in the last decade and an analysis of annual reporting showed more timely data submissions, although the number of non-reporting countries remained stable throughout the years. An evaluation of data quality found over half developing countries reporting inadequately but also one-fourth of reports by developed countries were not satisfactory. This article also provides meta information on historical developments, data sources and coverage, and advice on what should be kept in mind when using the database for trend studies. (C)
2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: L Garibaldi, Food & Agr Org United Nations, Fisheries &
                Aquaculture Stat & Informat Serv, Rome, Italy

TITLE:          Governing knowledge in the scientific community:
                Exploring the role of retractions in biomedicine (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Furman, JL; Jensen, K; Murray, F
SOURCE:         RESEARCH POLICY 41 (2). MAR 2012. p.276-290 ELSEVIER
                SCIENCE BV, AMSTERDAM

SEARCH TERM(S):  GARFIELD E  rauth; MERTON RK  rauth; ZUCKERMAN H  rauth;
                 ZUCKERMA.H         MINERVA                 9:66    1971;
                 GARFIELD E         SCIENTIST               2:12    1988

KEYWORDS:       Retractions; Knowledge production; Scientific
                institutions; Science policy; False science
KEYWORDS+:       COMBINED ESTROGENIC PESTICIDES; MISCONDUCT; SCIENCE;
                FRAUD; ECONOMICS; POTENCY; FUSION; IMPACT

ABSTRACT:       Although the validity of knowledge is critical to
scientific progress, substantial concerns exist regarding the governance of knowledge production. While research errors are as relevant to the knowledge economy as defects are to the manufacturing economy, mechanisms to identify and signal "defective" or false knowledge are poorly understood. In this paper, we investigate one such institution - the system of scientific retractions. We analyze the universe of peer- reviewed scientific articles retracted from the biomedical literature between 1972-2006 and comparing with a matched control sample in order to identify the correlates, timing, and causal impact of scientific retractions. This effort provides insight into the workings of a distributed, peer-based system for the governance of validity in scientific knowledge. Our findings suggest that attention is a key predictor of retraction - retracted articles arise most frequently among highly-cited articles. The retraction system is expeditious in uncovering knowledge that is ever determined to be false (the mean time to retraction is less than two years) and democratic (retraction is not systematically affected by author prominence). Lastly, retraction causes an immediate, severe, and long-lived decline in future citations.
Conditional on the obvious limitation that we cannot measure the absolute amount of false science in circulation, these results support the view that distributed governance systems can be designed to uncover false knowledge relatively swiftly and to mitigate the costs that false knowledge for future generations of producers. (C) 2011 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: JL Furman, Boston Univ, Sch Management, Boston, MA 02215 USA

TITLE:          The long-term dynamics of co-authorship scientific
                networks: Iberoamerican countries (1973-2010) (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Lemarchand, GA
SOURCE:         RESEARCH POLICY 41 (2). MAR 2012. p.291-305 ELSEVIER
                SCIENCE BV, AMSTERDAM

SEARCH TERM(S):  MERTON RK  rauth; PRICE DJD  rauth;
                 MERTON RK          SCIENCE               159:56    1968

KEYWORDS:       Co-authorship networks; Self-organization; Iberoamerican;
                Long-term dynamics; Preferential attachment
KEYWORDS+:       INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION; COMPLEX NETWORKS; SELF-
                ORGANIZATION; LATIN-AMERICA; SCIENCE; COOPERATION;
                INDICATORS; EVOLUTION

ABSTRACT:       We analyse the national production of academic knowledge
in all Iberoamerican and Caribbean countries between 1973 and 2010. We show that the total number of citable scientific publications listed in the Science Citation Index (SCI), the Social Science Citation Index
(SSCI) and Arts and Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI) follow an exponential growth, the same as their national productivity (number of publications per capita). During the last 38 years, Portugal shows the highest growth rate in both indicators. We explore the temporal evolution of the co-authorship patterns within a sample of 12 Iberoamerican countries (responsible for 98% of the total regional publications between
1973 and 2010) with a group of 46 other different nations. We show that the scientific co-authorship among countries follows a power-law and behaves as a self-organizing scale-free network, where each country appears as a node and each co-publication as a link. We develop a mathematical model to study the temporal evolution of co-authorship networks, based on a preferential attachment strategy and we show that the number of co-publications among countries grows quadraticly against time. We empirically determine the quadratic growth constants for 352 different co-authorship networks within the period 1973-2006. We corroborate that the connectivity of Iberoamerican countries with larger scientific networks (hubs) is growing faster than that of other less connected countries. We determine the dates, t(0), at which the co- authorship connectivities trigger the self-organizing scale-free network for each of the 352 cases. We find that the latter follows a normal distribution around year 1981.4 +/- 2.2 and we connect this effect with a brain-drain process generated during the previous decade. We show how the number of co-publications P-k(i)(t) between country k and country i, against the coupling growth-coefficients a(k)(i), follows a power-law mathematical relation. We develop a methodology to use the empirically determined growth constants for each co-authorship network to predict changes in the relative intensity of cooperation among countries and we test its predictions for the period 2007-2010. We finally discuss the implications of our findings on the science and technology policies. (C)
2011 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: GA Lemarchand, UNESCO, Div Sci Policy & Capac Bldg, 1 Rue
                Miollis, F-75732 Paris, France