Innovation as a Nonlinear Process and the Scientometric Perspective; preprint version available

K S Chudamani ksc at LIBRARY.IISC.ERNET.IN
Wed Feb 29 22:14:56 EST 2012

I have also made similar analysis using library subject headings and found
that the pattern is similar they can be divided into core and non-core and
also semi core headings. The paper is published in national seminar on
agricultural librarians

Chudamani

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Loet Leydesdorff wrote:

> Innovation as a Nonlinear Process, the Scientometric Perspective,
> <http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.6235>
> and the Specification of an "Innovation Opportunities Explorer"
>

> Loet Leydesdorff,[1] Daniele Rotolo,[2] & Wouter de Nooy [1]
>

> The process of innovation follows non-linear patterns across the domains of
> science, technology, and the economy. Novel bibliometric mapping techniques
> can be used to investigate and represent distinctive, but complementary
> perspectives on the innovation process (e.g., "demand" and "supply") as well
> as the interactions among these perspectives. The perspectives can be
> represented as "continents" of data related to varying extents over time.
> For example, the different branches of Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) in
> the Medline database provide sources of such perspectives (e.g., "Diseases"
> versus "Drugs and Chemicals"). The multiple-perspective approach enables us
> to reconstruct facets of the dynamics of innovation, in terms of selection
> mechanisms shaping localizable trajectories and/or resulting in more
> globalized regimes. By expanding the data with patents and scholarly
> publications, we demonstrate the use of this multi-perspective approach in
> the case of RNA Interference (RNAi). The possibility to develop an
> "Innovation Opportunities Explorer" is specified.
>

> [1] ASCoR, University of Amsterdam
>
> [2] SPRU (Science and Technology Policy Research), University of Sussex
>

> ** at http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.6235
>
> ** apologies for cross-postings.
>

>  _____
>
> Loet Leydesdorff
>
> Professor, University of Amsterdam
> Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR)
> Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
> Tel. +31-20-525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
>
> <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
> <http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
> Visiting Professor,  <http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html> ISTIC,
> Beijing; Honorary Fellow,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University