Measuring institutional output in the social sciences

jonathan.adams at THOMSONREUTERS.COM jonathan.adams at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Thu Dec 6 08:38:36 EST 2012

In response to Franz Barjak's enquiry, some work was done on 'bibliometrics for the social sciences' for the UK's Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC) by Robert Tijssen's team at CWTS (University of Leiden) and by us as Evidence Ltd, now acquired by Thomson Reuters.

The reports are available at: http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding-and-guidance/tools-and-resources/impact-evaluation/bibliometrics.aspx

Jonathan Adams
Director, Research & Development

Phone: +44 (0) 113 384 5680
Fax: +44 (0) 113 384 5874

e/ jonathan.adams at thomsonreuters.com<mailto:NAME at evidence.co.uk>
w/ researchanalytics.thomsonreuters.com/grr/
w/ science.thomsonreuters.com/evidence<http://www.evidence.co.uk/>

From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Barjak Franz
Sent: 06 December 2012 13:25
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: [SIGMETRICS] Measuring institutional output in the social sciences

Dear list,

The weaknesses of using mainly journal-based databases for measuring output in the social sciences and humanities are widely discussed and well known. I would be interested in literature or approaches on how to measure institutional output in the social sciences. I am looking to answers on questions such as:
- What types of publications should be counted?
- Is there an accepted procedure for combining them into a publication index or indices or, in other words, should different types of publications get different weights?
- How should such measures be normalised at institutional level?
- Have institutional practices of measuring output ever been analysed or compared?

Thanks for any suggestions and hints to literature.
Best wishes
Franz Barjak

Dr. Franz Barjak
Professor for Empirical Economic & Social Research
University of Applied Sciences
Northwestern Switzerland FHNW
School of Business
Riggenbachstrasse 16
CH-4600 Olten
Switzerland
franz.barjak at fhnw.ch<mailto:franz.barjak at fhnw.ch>
p. +41 62 287 7825, fax: +41 62 287 7845