The bibliometrics of OA

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Mon Aug 27 14:28:44 EDT 2012

On the policy side my concern is government control of scientific
publishing. If a publisher allows archiving that is their business, but if
a government requires it that is a big step toward government control.

On the data side my interest is discovery, or findability as I call it. On
the green data side my basic question is how many full text journal
articles are in a given repository? I do not find this data anywhere. ROAR
tells me how many records a repository has but these are not articles. For
example, ROAR says Cambridge D-space has over 200,000 records but in fact
it has almost no articles at all, just a huge directory of molecular names
or something. Other repositories have only metadata, including many links
to subscription pay per article pages.

On the gold data side I simply want to know how many articles a given
publisher has published. For example, which is bigger, PLoS with PLoS One
or Hindawi with over 400 gold journals?

Then too there are departmental repositories, subject matter repositories,
departmental publication Web sites, group Websites and individual author
Websites. There seems to be no way to tell where these articles are, so it
is impossible to tell what is really going on. But of course this is
characteristic of revolutions.

Perhaps some of this data is in WoS, but ironically WoS is behind a big pay
wall.

David