JMLA article of interest

Lauren Young fyi.jmla at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 10 16:45:47 EDT 2012

The Journal of the Medical Library Association is pleased to announce the
publication of v.100(3), July 2012. The issue contains the following
article that we believe might be relevant and of interest to members of the
SIGMETRICS listserv:

*The persistence of error: a study of retracted articles on the Internet
and in personal libraries*

Philip M. Davis

"The purpose of this study is to investigate the extent of publicly
accessible copies of retracted articles on the public Internet and in the
personal libraries of scholars. The study does not include copies located
on publishers' websites as this has been reported recently by Steen [13].
By understanding where these articles reside, and in what form, we can be
in a better position to understand how errors continue to be promulgated
through the scientific literature, predict the efficacy of new
interventions such as CrossMark, and propose new services that enable
publishers to more efficiently contact readers when an article has been
updated or is no longer valid."

We invite you to visit us online to read this and other quality,
peer-reviewed articles. JMLA preprints are available to MLA members at
www.mlanet.org, and current and archived issues are freely available to all
interested readers on PubMed Central:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/journals/93/.

Thank you,
Lauren
Lauren M. Young, MLIS, MA
Associate Editor for Social Media Dissemination
Journal of the Medical Library Association
fyi.jmla at gmail.com