Corrected Ulrichs estimate of total number of active peer-reviewed journals: 28,094 in August 2012

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Mon Aug 6 08:23:28 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-06, at 4:50 AM, Juan Gorraiz wrote:

> Dear Stevan,
>
> FYI - the Bibliometrics Department of the Vienna University Library / Austria has been jointly working with the Carlos III University of Madrid / Spain on a bibliometric study analysing the impact evolution of Gold OA journals for the last months.
>
> Our results will be presented at Scientometrics 2012 in Regensburg (20 September) and the Open Access Days in Vienna (27 September 2012).
>
> http://www.uni-regensburg.de/library/scientometrics/program/index.html
> http://open-access.net/at_de/aktivitaeten/open_access_tage/programm_ausf/sessions/#c3970

Dear Juan,

I will be interested to see your results. If I have understood correctly, you are not just looking at the rate of growth of the number of Gold OA journals, but also at their citation impact.

I am sure that for journals with the same subject matter and the same peer-review quality and selectivity standards, the Gold OA journals would have higher citation impact than the non-OA journals. The reason I am sure is because the within-journals OA/non-OA comparisons for articles that were and not made Green OA have consistently shown the OA citation advantage.

However, there still seems to be the logical and methodological problem -- in trying to show this effect at the between-journal level, OA vs non-OA, rather the within-journal, between-article level -- that there is no way to determine whether two journals, even if they have the same subject matter, have the same peer-review quality and selectivity standards. Hence it is not clear whether one is comparing like with like.

> Like you, we have also used Ulrichs since it provides relevant information on Open Access as well as on JCR status.
> However, deduplication in Ulrichs is time-consuming and cumbersome due to the many format editions Sally Morris mentioned. Unfortunately sometimes Open Access journals are listed only as print journals, even though they are either as well or exclusively published as online journals. PloS is the best example as one of the most successful Open Access titles. Except for PloS One all other PloS titles are only (incorrectly) listed as print journals (and ceased!) in Ulrichsweb.

It is a pity that as large and widely used (and unique) a database, with no competitors, cannot promptly and fully remedy each of these problems.

Perhaps it is indeed because Ulrichs has no competitors.

This is, then, yet another problem that universal OA itself will correct (at least for peer-reviewed research), once it is universally mandated by institutions and funders.

> Thus filtering only for online format editions in Ulrichs would therefore unintentionally exclude the most successful OA journals.
> One needs to be aware of these limitations and should cross-check the results retrieved with DOAJ.

I agree completely, and our own studies always cross-check with DOAJ. (This is a cross-check that Ulrichs itself could easily implement!)

> Stevan, you further wrote "ISI also indicates which of its indexed journals are Gold OA".
> This would indeed be desirable, however, we could neither find any hint on OA in WoS nor in JCR (not to mention this information is not at all searchable).

If I was mistaken about that, I must apologize. I do know that ISI keeps a tally of the number of OA journals it indexes. If it does not tag those journals explicitly, then that is an example of another lapse by a large and widely used database. Ditto for any classification errors.

Universally mandated OA will fix all of that too. (It's just that right now, still on the road to universally mandated OA, it would have been a big help if these two large databases were more rigorous and responsive to the user community's needs.

I hope the user community will try to put some pressure on Ulrichs to shape up and keep up with evolving user needs in the online era.

For ISI, maybe a nudge from its founder might help... (Gene?)

Best wishes,

Stevan