Open access?

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Wed Apr 11 15:00:37 EDT 2012

Loet,
I am working with Nobelists in chemistry, and I have not found such problems.  However, I have not finished the section of my research on how Google forms and ranks sets through the word spacing, the PageIndex, etc.   My experience with the Nobelists is that the document sets become fairly random and incoherent below the h-index where the asymptotes begins.  Personally I would not use Google Scholar without validation by WoS because of the randomness of the sets.  And there is no authority control whatsoever on journals.  However, Google Scholar does give some interesting insights due to the way it retrieves data.  For example, Negishi totally dominates his field in terms of review articles, where the paradigms of science are set.  His highest rank by GS was not anything he wrote but a two-volume collection of review articles he EDITED.  Nobody can do anything in his field unless they consult those volumes, which he put together probably from  his students.  That book had 797 reverse links but only 7 WoS cites.   WoS totally missed the importance of that work.  Google found the importance of that book by scanning down the authorship structure to where the editors are and giving the snippet.  I would not make any judgments on anything until I determined where the asymptote begins and the crap ends.

Yours,
SB

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Loet Leydesdorff
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:20 PM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Open access?

Dear Stephen,

Try "E Garfield" in PoP and you will see what I mean. If you would run "H Simon" the 1000th record would still receive 27 citations.

It depends on your research question whether you wish to truncate this.
In Scopus, one can run institutional searches (e.g., top-10% of Chinese
papers) and then 2,000 may be an unpleasant limit.

For my purposes, WoS is often optimal because we don't have these limits set by the system.

Best,
Loet