Open access?

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Wed Apr 11 13:53:41 EDT 2012

Filippo,
Three questions back to you.  First, if I understand you correctly, then Google has a contract with Elsevier that allows its spiders access to the Elsevier publication database.  If so, then I not only stand corrected but can rely more on the accuracy of Google Scholar data.  In general, my research has shown that Google Scholar totally validates of the findings of Eugene Garfield on scientific journals in his Law of Concentration and importance of review journals.  Google Scholar and WoS validate each other, which I find comforting.  However, GS retrieves data in a fashion that provides insights that neither WoS or Scopus can provides because it retrieves further down the authorship structure and places these do not visit.  If GS can fully access Elsevier journals, then why is that fearsome "web crawlers verboten" sign posted on the Elsevier SciVerse Web site.  Second, what the hell is an "API."   Third, if Google Scholar can access the Elsevier publication database, then who in the hell needs Scopus, which costs a bundle?  LSU has better places to spend its limited money than a redundant database.

I think that I will stay with the Harzing program.  It is very sophisticated and well designed to handle Google Scholar data.  You have to understand that Google only forms coherent sets at the asymptote or the first screen or two.  Further than that is what I guess that the Germans would call the "Trummerzone" or "rubbish zone," where things are random and incoherent.   With Web data you are always going to be truncated or censored on the left because of the probability structure of the Web.   It is a fact of life and a limitation of the WWW.  However, at the asymptote things are quite coherent and fairly stable.  These are my basic findings so far.

I hope that you found these comments of interest.

Stephen J Bensman, Ph.D.
LSU Libraries
Lousiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803

-----Original Message-----
From: filmenczer at gmail.com [mailto:filmenczer at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Fil Menczer
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:43 AM
To: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
Cc: Stephen J Bensman
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Open access?

Stephen,

Two quick comments:

1. Google Scholar has business agreements with all major publishers to access their bibliographic and citation data. This data is mixed with what Google obtains from crawling the Web. This is why Google Scholar is one of the few (or the only?) Google service that does not provide an API.

2. You may be interested in a tool (scholarometer.indiana.edu) that is somewhat similar to Publish or Perish, but makes data openly and freely available through an API as well as in semantic web (linked
data) format.

Cheers,
-Fil

Filippo Menczer