Online Academic Abuses and the Power of Openness: Naming & Shaming

Gustaf Nelhans gustaf.nelhans at THEORYSC.GU.SE
Tue Apr 10 10:43:17 EDT 2012

Dear Professor Harnad,
    I believe that it is not always easy to identify the motives behind specific instances of self references (although in the case at hand, the number of mutual citations identified seem to speak for themselves…). The practice of self citation is (as you acknowledge) not in itself a bad thing, but the problem is how to distinguish its legitimate use from its abuse. This is equally valid on the individual level as in editor-suggested references. I would like to draw into attention an exchange about these matters from 1997, where Eugene Garfield stated:
“Recognising the reality of the Matthew effect, I believe that an editor is justified in reminding authors to cite equivalent references from the same journal, if only because readers of that journal presumably have ready access to it. To call this “manipulation” seems excessive unless the references chosen are irrelevant or mere window dressing.” (Garfield, Eugene. 1997. Editors are justified in asking authors to cite equivalent references from same journal. BMJ 314 (7096):1765. http://www.bmj.com/content/314/7096/1765.2.short )
    My question is if there could exist any method of identifying “bad apples” that does not account for the specific context in the article in which the reference is placed. In my understanding of the problem, the proposed way of using statistical methods for identifying baselines for self citations in various fields could be one important step, but I wonder if it would suffice to make the identification process complete?

Best regards,
Gustaf Nelhans
University of Gothenburg, University of Borås,
Sweden