PS : [SIGMETRICS] Wikiscience

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Wed Nov 2 13:46:42 EDT 2011

Christina,

You are right, and I was negligent on the point that one of the prime examples in the book was "wikimathematics."  As a matter of local patriotism, here is what Larry Smolinsky, one of the LSU mathematicians working on the companion Fields Medalist paper, had to say about Tim Gowers:

"One other thing - a point of trivia about the Wall Street Journal article.  Tim Gowers spent a semester studying at LSU while he was a graduate student.  His advisor, Béla Bollobás, had a joint appointment at LSU and Cambridge for a number of years and would bring his students to LSU with him.  Tim Gowers received a Fields medal in 1998."

So a Fields Medalist is pioneering "wikiscience."  We'll see what Larry digs up out of Google Scholar on the authorship structure of mathematics.

One nice thing about Google Scholar-you can flash from the cited URL to the citing URL or from the cited pdf to the citing pdf in a whiffy.  That is one reason I think that Google Scholar may become dominant-ease of movement around the literature at the desktop level.  However, speaking as a catalog librarian, its primary fault is that it has no authority structure, making it almost impossible to do journal analyses and extremely difficult to deal with common names. The  SCI has the latter fault also.

Stephen J Bensman

LSU Libraries

Lousiana State University

Baton Rouge, LA 70803