Kelchtermans, S; Veugelers, R. 2011. The great divide in scientific productivity: why the average scientist does not exist. INDUSTRIAL AND CORPORATE CHANGE 20 (1): 295-336

Thu May 19 15:31:02 EDT 2011

Kelchtermans, S; Veugelers, R. 2011. The great divide in scientific productivity:
why the average scientist does not exist. INDUSTRIAL AND CORPORATE
CHANGE 20 (1): 295-336.

Author Full Name(s): Kelchtermans, Stijn; Veugelers, Reinhilde
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: C14; C23; L31; O31; O32
KeyWords Plus: QUANTILE REGRESSION; PANEL-DATA; LIFE-CYCLE; SCIENCE;
MODELS; ADVANTAGE

Abstract: Using a panel of individual researchers at the KU Leuven, Belgium, we
analyze the impact of a range of productivity drivers on research performance
at the separate quantiles of the productivity distribution. We estimate a
correlated random-effects quantile regression model, accounting for
unobserved heterogeneity of researchers and applicable to count data. We find
that the effect of most regressors, particularly system-factors incentivizing
researchers (like promotion record and access to research resources), as well
as the gender of the researcher differ significantly at different points in the
distribution, yielding strong support for our quantile regression approach.
Comparing publications versus citations as dimensions of research performance,
we find the incentive factors to work stronger in affecting research quality.
Finally, the split-sample regression results emphasize the heterogeneity across
scientific disciplines.

Addresses: [Kelchtermans, Stijn] Hogesch Univ Brussel, Ctr Res Econ Markets &
Their Environm CREME, Brussels, Belgium; [Veugelers, Reinhilde] Katholieke Univ
Leuven, Dept Managerial Econ Strategy & Innovat, B-3000 Louvain, Belgium
Reprint Address: Kelchtermans, S, Hogesch Univ Brussel, Ctr Res Econ Markets
& Their Environm CREME, Brussels, Belgium.

E-mail Address: Stijn.Kelchtermans at econ.kuleuven.be;
Reinhilde.Veugelers at econ.kuleuven.be
ISSN: 0960-6491
DOI: 10.1093/icc/dtq074