Dang, Y; Zhang, YL; Hu, PJH; Brown, SA; Chen, HC. 2011. Knowledge mapping for rapidly evolving domains: A design science approach. DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEMS 50 (2): 415-427

Sat Mar 26 13:48:27 EDT 2011

Dang, Y; Zhang, YL; Hu, PJH; Brown, SA; Chen, HC. 2011. Knowledge mapping
for rapidly evolving domains: A design science approach. DECISION SUPPORT
SYSTEMS 50 (2): 415-427.

Author Full Name(s): Dang, Yan; Zhang, Yulei; Hu, Paul Jen-Hwa; Brown, Susan
A.; Chen, Hsinchun
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Knowledge mapping; Design science; Information systems
KeyWords Plus: NANOTECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT; TECHNOLOGY FIELD;
INFORMATION; WEB; VISUALIZATION; SEARCH; INSTITUTION; DATABASE;
COUNTRY; PATENTS

Abstract: Knowledge mapping can provide comprehensive depictions of rapidly
evolving scientific domains. Taking the design science approach, we developed
a Web-based knowledge mapping system (i.e., Nano Mapper) that provides
interactive search and analysis on various scientific document sources in
nanotechnology. We conducted multiple studies to evaluate Nano Mapper's
search and analysis functionality respectively. The search functionality appears
more effective than that of the benchmark systems. Subjects exhibit favorable
satisfaction with the analysis functionality. Our study addresses several gaps in
knowledge mapping for nanotechnology and illustrates desirability of using the
design science approach to design, implement, and evaluate an advanced
information system. (C) 2010 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

Addresses: [Dang, Yan; Zhang, Yulei] Univ Arkansas, Dept Informat Syst, Sam
M Walton Coll Business, Fayetteville, AR 72701 USA; [Brown, Susan A.; Chen,
Hsinchun] Univ Arizona, Dept Management Informat Syst, Eller Coll
Management, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA; [Hu, Paul Jen-Hwa] Univ Utah, Operat &
Informat Syst Dept, David Eccles Sch Business, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 USA
Reprint Address: Zhang, YL, Univ Arkansas, Dept Informat Syst, Sam M Walton
Coll Business, Fayetteville, AR 72701 USA.

E-mail Address: ydang at walton.uark.edu; yzhang at walton.uark.edu;
paul.hu at business.utah.edu; suebrown at eller.arizona.edu;
hchen at eller.arizona.edu
ISSN: 0167-9236