Clemmensen, T; Roese, K. 2010. An Overview of a Decade of Journal Publications about Culture and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). HUMAN WORK INTERACTION DESIGN: USABILITY IN SOCIAL, CULTURAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXTS 316: 98-112

Mon Jun 13 15:21:50 EDT 2011

Clemmensen, T; Roese, K. 2010. An Overview of a Decade of Journal
Publications about Culture and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). HUMAN
WORK INTERACTION DESIGN: USABILITY IN SOCIAL, CULTURAL AND
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXTS 316: 98-112. edited by Katre, D; Orngreen, R;
Yammiyavar, P; Clemmensen, T.presented at 2nd IFIP TC 13.6 Working Group
Conference on Human Work Interaction Design in Pune, INDIA, OCT 07-08,
2009.

Author Full Name(s): Clemmensen, Torkil; Roese, Kerstin
Book series title: IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology
Language: English
Document Type: Proceedings Paper
Conference Host: Ctr Dev Adv Comp

Author Keywords: Cultural usability; Culture; Human-Computer Interaction;
Literature review
KeyWords Plus: MODEL

Abstract: In this paper, we analyze the concept of human-computer
interaction in cultural and national contexts. Building and extending upon the
framework for understanding research in usability and culture by Honold [3], we
give an overview of publications in culture and HCI between 1998 and 2008,
with a narrow focus on high-level journal publications only. The purpose is to
review current practice in how cultural HCI issues are studied, and to analyse
problems with the measures and interpretation of this studies. We find that
Hofstede's cultural dimensions has been the dominating model of culture,
participants have been picked because they could speak English, and most
studies have been large scale quantitative studies. In order to balance this
situation, we recommend that more researchers and practitioners do
qualitative, empirical work studies.

Addresses: [Clemmensen, Torkil] Copenhagen Sch Econ & Business Adm, Dept
Informat, DK-2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
E-mail Address: tc.inf at cbs.dk; roese at mv.uni-kl.de
ISSN: 1868-4238
ISBN: 978-3-642-11761-9
fulltext: http://www.springerlink.com/content/d12758275161123m/