Neufeld, J; von Ins, M. 2011. Informed peer review and uninformed bibliometrics?. RESEARCH EVALUATION 20 (1): 31-46, Sp. Iss. SI

Fri Jun 10 18:07:05 EDT 2011

Neufeld, J; von Ins, M. 2011. Informed peer review and uninformed
bibliometrics?. RESEARCH EVALUATION 20 (1): 31-46, Sp. Iss. SI..

Author Full Name(s): Neufeld, Joerg; von Ins, Markus
Language: English
Document Type: Article
KeyWords Plus: SCIENTIFIC EXCELLENCE; RELIABILITY

Abstract: Recent literature on issues relevant to bibliometric indicator relations
and peer review discusses whether bibliometric indicators can predict the
success of research grant applications. For example, Van den Besselaar and
Leydesdorff (2009) reported a higher average number of publications/citations
for the group of approved applicants than for the rejected applicants (section
Social and Behavioral Sciences of the Netherlands Organization for Scientific
Research [NOW], MaGW). However, this difference disappears or even reverses
when the group of 275 successful applicants was compared only to the best
275 rejected applicants. Given these findings, we have continued our analyses
of publication data of applicants for the Emmy Noether-Programme (ENP)
provided by the German Research Foundation. First, we compared the group of
actual ENP applicants to a sample of potential applicants, which revealed a
'lack of low performers' among the actual ENP applicants. Furthermore, we
conducted discriminant analyses to predict funding decisions on the basis of
several bibliometric indicators.

Addresses: [Neufeld, Joerg; von Ins, Markus] Inst Res Informat & Qual
Assurance IFQ, D-53175 Bonn, Germany
Reprint Address: Neufeld, J, Inst Res Informat & Qual Assurance IFQ,
Godesberger Allee 90, D-53175 Bonn, Germany.

E-mail Address: neufeld at forschungsinfo.de
ISSN: 0958-2029
DOI: 10.3152/095820211X12941371876382
URL (not open access):