Coslado, MA; Lacunza, I; Ros, G. 2011. Quality assessment of Spanish scientific journals: analysis of their review processes. PROFESIONAL DE LA INFORMACION 20 (2): 159-164

Thu Jun 2 15:16:04 EDT 2011

Coslado, MA; Lacunza, I; Ros, G. 2011. Quality assessment of Spanish scientific
journals: analysis of their review processes. PROFESIONAL DE LA INFORMACION
20 (2): 159-164..

Author Full Name(s): Coslado, Maria-Angeles; Lacunza, Izaskun; Ros, German
Language: Spanish
Document Type: Review

Author Keywords: Evaluation; Peer review; Protocols to evaluate; Anonymity;
Scientific journals; Referees; Spain; Fecyt

Abstract: One of the basic duties of scientific journals is the evaluation of the
papers that they publish. The most common practice is peer review, in which
several experts determine the reliability of the ideas and results as well as the
potential impact on science. Studying the documentation provided by the
editors of Quality Assessment of Spanish Scientific Journals, 1st Edition, in
2008, we have analyzed some of the editorial practices in the evaluation
process, such as external evaluation, instructions to referees, the existence of
protocols to evaluate the articles and anonymity of those involved in the
review. The significance of our work is that the evaluation process has been
checked independently of what is stated in the journal. We have verified that
there is a lack of standardization in the evaluation process, which is
symptomatic of the need for deeper professionalization.

Addresses: [Coslado, Maria-Angeles; Lacunza, Izaskun] Fdn Espanola Ciencia &
Tecnol Fecyt, Depto Gest Informac Cient Integrada, Madrid 28020, Spain; [Ros,
German] Univ Alcala de Henares, Dept Fis, Madrid 28871, Spain
Reprint Address: Coslado, MA, Fdn Espanola Ciencia & Tecnol Fecyt, Depto
Gest Informac Cient Integrada, C Pedro Teixeira 8,Planta 2, Madrid 28020,
Spain.

E-mail Address: mangeles.coslado at fecyt.es; izaskun.lacunza at fecyt.es;
german.ros at uah.es
ISSN: 1386-6710