The end of a paradigm: is Zipf's law universal?

Fri Jul 29 15:26:16 EDT 2011

The end of a paradigm: is Zipf's law universal?

Author(s): Benguigui, L (Benguigui, L.); Blumenfeld-Lieberthal, E (Blumenfeld-
Lieberthal, E.)

Source: JOURNAL OF GEOGRAPHICAL SYSTEMS  Volume: 13  Issue: 1  Special
Issue: SI  Pages: 87-100  DOI: 10.1007/s10109-010-0132-6  Published: MAR
2011

Abstract: It is largely accepted among geographers and economists that the
City Size Distribution (CSD) is well described by a power law, i.e., Zipf's law.
This opinion is shared by this community in a manner it could be treated as a
paradigm. In reality, however, Zipf's law is not always observed (even as an
approximation), and we prefer to adopt a classification of the CSD into three
classes. In this work, we present the characteristics of these classes and give
some examples for them. We use the Israeli system of cities as an interesting
case study in which the same ensemble of cities passes from one class to
another. We relate this change to the urbanization process that occurred in
Israel from the 1960s onwards.
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Zipf's law; City size distribution; Urbanization process
KeyWords Plus: RANK-SIZE RULE; POWER-LAW; DISTRIBUTIONS; CITIES; CITY

Addresses: [Blumenfeld-Lieberthal, E] Tel Aviv Univ, David Azrieli Sch
Architecture, Yolanda & David Katz Fac Arts, IL-69978 Tel Aviv, Israel
[Benguigui, L] Technion Israel Inst Technol, Inst Solid State, IL-32000 Haifa,
Israel
[Benguigui, L] Technion Israel Inst Technol, Dept Phys, IL-32000 Haifa, Israel
Reprint Address: Blumenfeld-Lieberthal, E (reprint author), Tel Aviv Univ, David

E-mail Address: efratbl at post.tau.ac.il
ISSN: 1435-5930